Teresa’s Green Butlers sink

Teresa’s Green Butlers sink

I was recently asked what the difference between a Belfast and a Butler Sink is?

After doing  a bit of research i thought i’d share the answer for anyone else who is curious.

This type of square kitchen sink  should be called a Butler sink, as it was designed to be used by the Butler. Butler sinks were made and used in Belfast and had a weir overflow built in because fresh water was readily available in Belfast in the late 1700s and it didn’t matter if a little was wasted down the overflow.

The Butler sinks designed for use in London did not have overflows. Water was very precious in London at this time and had to be drawn from deep wells, so not having an overflow was a way to prevent water being wasted.

Traditionally these are the differences but nowadays all types of Butler sink will probably have overflows. There is also the less chunky styled french farmhouse sink which can be referred to as a butler sink.